On May 16-17, 2019, the 7th joint meeting of the Intergovernmental Ukrainian-Latvian Commission on Economic, Industrial, Scientific and Technical Cooperation is took place in Riga (Latvia) with the participation of Deputy Minister of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine Olena Kovaliova.
During the meeting, the issues of cooperation between Ukraine and Latvia, including within the framework of the Ukraine-Latvia bilateral cooperation program in the field of agro-industrial complex for 2017-2019, were considered.
"The Latvian market for Ukrainian products, in particular the food and processing industry, is attractive and important. Thus, in 2018, the total amount of turnover of agricultural products increased by 13% and amounted to $ 102 million. We look forward to further growth of trade turnover, as well as to deepening cooperation with Latvia in the priority areas identified in the Bilateral Cooperation Program, "said Deputy Minister of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine Olena Kovaliova.
In particular, priority areas of cooperation are adaptation of Ukrainian legislation to EU requirements, development of rural territories and green tourism, forestry, veterinary and phytosanitary, fisheries, research cooperation, regional cooperation.
TOP 5 export commodities to Latvia (in 2018):
- miscellaneous edible preparations ($ 13,5 million / 6.9 thousand tons);
- products from grains and cereals ($ 8,5 million / 5.6 thousand tons);
- spirit ($ 7,4 million / 7.9 thousand tons);
- oils ($ 4,4 million / 5.3 thousand tons);
- cereals ($ 3,9 million / 25.9 thousand tons).
TOP 5 import commodities from Latvia (in 2018):
- spirit ($ 15,9 million / 4.9 thousand tons).
- prepared or preserved fish or crustaceans ($ 5,9 million / 4.8 thousand tons).
- Fish and crustaceans, molluscs ($ 5,3 million / 14.4 thousand tons).
- miscellaneous edible preparations ($ 3,5 million / 183 thousand tons);
Coffee, tea, mate and spices ($ 2б8 million / 438 thousand tons).
Press Service of the Ministry