The World Trade Organization (WTO) is the only international organization dealing with the global rules of trade. Its main function is to ensure that trade flows as smoothly, predictably and freely as possible.
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Established: January 1, 1995
Created by: Uruguay Round negotiations (1986 – 1994)
Membership: 164 countries
Budget: 197 million Swiss francs for 2018
Secretariat staff: 625 employees
Head: Roberto Azevedo (General Director)
Functions of the WTO:
- Administering WTO trade agreements
- Multilateral trade negotiations and consultations among interested member countries;
- Handling trade disputes;
- Monitoring national trade policies;
- Technical assistance and training for developing countries;
- Cooperation with other international organizations.